Hollywood Movies & other International movies discussion

Discussion in 'Kannada Film Discussion' started by Ritu16, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Ritu16

Ritu16

World Movies: My Favourite International Movies.

Life is about loving, living and sharing…. experiences, thoughts and lots more…

I love watching movies… almost all the types. I have often wondered as to what makes me love watching these movies when I know its an illusion? I wonder why is that I can experience tears of joy and pain, the deep pleasure and disappointments of the characters that I watch on the screen. Its even more embarrasing when I am the person who sportinlgy pokes fun at my mother over her deep and full involvement with the characters of the TV serials she watches so diligently!

Over a period of time I have discovered a few home truths about my movie watching… at least they are the reasons I give myself for unashamedly watching as many movies as possible without having to trouble my conscience much about the money and time I am spending on them !!!

I have a curiosity to know and experience different thoughts, different lifestyles, life as different individuals in different situations… all of which is not a possibility in one lifetime. Movies can be pretty inspiring too…. sometimes when I am down in the dumps and need some cheerful thoughts to make me feel like myself again, movies are an instant perk up solution for me. When I look back I find that on number of occassions I have been drawn towards movies which have catered to some emotional need of mine at that point of time. It is like wishing for something so badly that it shows up in your life in some form or the other!!

The type of story I prefer to watch shows the type of thinking that I have or the extent to which I am prepared to expand my thinking and living. Its a parameter of where I am and where I am going in life. I have watched lot of movies. Some of my favourite movies are:

2. Ritu16

Ritu16

[​IMG]

Forrest, Forrest Gump is a simple man with little brain activity but good intentions. He struggles through childhood with his best and only friend Jenny. His 'mama' teaches him the ways of life and leaves him to choose his destiny. Forrest joins the army for service in Vietnam, finding new friends called Dan and Bubba, he wins medals, starts a table tennis craze, creates a famous shrimp fishing fleet, inspires people to jog, create the smiley, write bumper stickers and songs, donating to people and meeting the president several times. However this is all irrelevant to Forrest who can only think of his childhood sweetheart Jenny. Who has messed up her life. Although in the end all he wants to prove is that anyone can love anyone

3. Ritu16

Ritu16

[​IMG]

Chuck Noland (Tom Hanks) is a Fed-Ex manager who demands that everything must be on time and travels the world to make sure punctuality is on top of everything else. He has a girlfriend, Kelly, with whom he is deeply in love with and family he hardly sees. When work intrudes on Christmas Eve, Chuck has a quick gift exchange in the car and kisses Kelly goodbye. He boards a delivery plane going overseas which gets caught in a horrendous storm and crashes into the Pacific. The sole survivor Chuck washes up on a remote island along with several Fed-Ex packages that he must use for supplies. With limited luxury, he adapts to the island over the course of 1,500 nights. When Chuck finally sees his chance he rafts out on the ocean and fortunately is spotted. After a bittersweet welcome-back reception, Chuck finds Kelly has married another man and has children. But he is missing more than her. For all his life his objective was work. For four years, it was survival. Now Chuck is compelled to live...

4. Ritu16

Ritu16

[​IMG]

The Deadly Viper Assassination Squad consists of five most deadly killers, led by Bill. There is O'Ren-Ishii as Cottonmouth, Elle Driver as California Mountain Snake, Vernita Green as Copperhead, Budd as Sidewinder. And there is The Bride, whose name is not spoken, who wanted to quit because she was pregnant. One day, somewhere in the Texas desert, The Bride wanted to marry the love of her life. Then Bill and her former colleagues showed up and killed everyone there. But they did not do a good enough job: The Bride survives, barely, and is in a coma for four years. Her colleagues know this but won't kill her in her sleep, it would just ruin the reputation. One day, The Bride awakens. For her, not a second has consciously passed, and after she realizes all the things that have happened, The Bride decides to take revenge. Bloody revenge. On each single one of those who betrayed her. First on her death list is Cottonmouth, who has become the yakuza boss of Tokyo, Japan, second in line is Copperhead, who chose a more decent life as well. The Bride sets out to take back what was once hers: Her life.

UmaThurman in the lead: My favourite actress. ;) ;) ;)

5. Ritu16

Ritu16

[​IMG]

Princess Anne embarks on a highly publicized tour of Europian capitals. When she and her royal entourage arrive in Rome, she begins to rebel against her restricted, regimented schedule. One night Anne sneaks out of her room, hops into the back of a delivery truck and escapes her luxurious confinement. However, a sedative she was forced to take earlier starts to take effect, and the princess is soon fast asleep on a public bench. She is found by Joe Bradley, an American newspaper reporter stationed in Rome. He takes her back to his apartment. The next morning Joe dashes off to cover the Princess Anne press conference, unaware that she is sleeping on his couch! Once he realizes his good fortune, Joe promises his editor an exclusive interview with the princess.
    A very Romantic movie.... ;) ;) ;)

6. Ritu16

Ritu16

[​IMG]

A French Movie. (AMELIE)

Amélie is a story about a girl named Amélie whose childhood was suppressed by her Father's mistaken concerns of a heart defect. With these concerns Amélie gets hardly any real life contact with other people. This leads Amélie to resort to her own fantastical world and dreams of love and beauty. She later on becomes a young woman and moves to the central part of Paris as a waitress. After finding a lost treasure belonging to the former occupant of her apartment, she decides to return it to him. After seeing his reaction and his new found perspective - she decides to devote her life to the people around her. Such as, her father who is obsessed with his garden-gnome, a failed writer, a hypochondriac, a man who stalks his ex girlfriends, the "ghost", a suppressed young soul, the love of her life and a man whose bones are as brittle as glass. But after consuming herself with these escapades - she finds out that she is disregarding her own life and damaging her quest for love. Amélie then discovers she must become more aggressive and take a hold of her life and capture the beauty of love she has always dreamed of.... LOVE LIFE.

7. Ritu16

Ritu16

[​IMG]

In a small village in Colombia, the pregnant seventeen years old Maria (Catalina Sandino Moreno) supports her family with her salary working in a floriculture. She is fired and with a total lack of perspective of finding a new job, she decides to accept the offer to work as a drug mule, flying to USA with sixty-two pellets of cocaine in her stomach. Once in New York, things do not happen as planned.... :x

8. Ritu16

Ritu16

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Korean Romantic comedy Movie.

As the film opens to Kyun-woo, a kind-hearted but at times naive college student who seems to keep getting into trouble. On his way home one night he encounters a beautiful but completely smashed young woman who causes a scene in the subway, calls him “honey”, and then passes out. With the eyes of the other subway passengers upon him, he has little choice but to take responsibility for her. Thus begins his relationship with the at-times charming, at-times violent damsel who steals his heart.
    Much of the film is structured around the bizarre antics of Kyun-woo’s newfound girlfriend. After she passes out yet again, Kyun-woo looks at her blissful face and promises to himself that he will save her, and right whatever it is that troubles her. This proves to be much more of a challenge than he expects.....

A beautiful, romantic comedy movie with happy ending. ;) ;) :)
    It is one of my all time favourite movie.... ;) ;) ;) ;) :)

9. Sam

Sam

dvd collection king rithu!!!!! plz provide more

10. Ritu16

Ritu16

[​IMG]

Shortly after the Second World War, Max, a transplanted American, visits an English pawn shop to sell his trumpet. The shopkeeper recognizes the tune Max plays as one on a wax master of an unreleased recording, discovered and restored from shards found in a piano salvaged from a cruise ship turned hospital ship, now slated for demolition. This chance discovery prompts a story from Max, which he relates both to the shopkeeper and later to the official responsible for the doomed vessel, for Max is a born storyteller. Though now down on his luck and disillusioned by his wartime experiences, the New Orleans-born Max was once an enthusiastic and gifted young jazz musician, whose longest gig was several years with the house band aboard the Virginian, a posh cruise ship. While gaining his sea legs, he was befriended by another young man, the pianist in the same band, whose long unlikely name was Danny Boodman T.D. Lemons 1900, though everyone just called him 1900, the year of his birth. Abandoned in first class by his immigrant parents, 1900 was found and adopted by Danny, a stoker, and raised in the engine rooms, learning to read by reading horseracing reports to his adoptive dad. After Danny's death in an accident, 1900 remained on the ship. Increasingly lured by the sound of the piano in the first-class ballroom, he eventually became a gifted pianist, a great jazz improvisationist, a composer of rich modern music inspired by his intense observation of the life around him, the stories passengers on all levels of the ship trusted him enough to tell. He also grew up to be a charming, iconoclastic young man, at once shrewd and oddly innocent. His talent earned him such accolades that he was challenged by, and bested Jelly Roll Morton in an intense piano duel that had poor Max chewing paper on the sofa in agonies of suspense. And yet for all the richness and variety of his musical expression, he never left the ship, except almost, once, in the aftermath of his infatuation with a beautiful young woman immigrant who inspired the music committed to the master Max discovers in the pawnshop. Max realizes that 1900 must still be on the ship, and determines to find him, and to find out once and for all why he has so consistently refused to leave.

11. Ritu16

Ritu16

[​IMG]

An Indian actor screws up royally during the filming of a costume epic. When the 'Fire this guy' list gets confused with the studio head's guest list for a party, he appears there and everyone assumes he must belong. A great many sight gags and misunderstanding gags are played out at the party where the rest of the film takes place...

One of the Best Comedy movie, which i ever seen... ;=) ;=) ;) :-|

12. Vasanth

Vasanth

I dont know much about these movies!!

I like Gandhi movie, it got oscar award!!

13. Ritu16

Ritu16

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In 1983, Gandhi is thrown off a South African train for being an Indian and traveling in a first class compartment. Gandhi realizes that the laws are biased against Indians and decides to start a non-violent protest campaign for the rights of all Indians in South Africa. After numerous arrests and the unwanted attention of the world, the government finally relents by recognizing rights for Indians, though not for the native blacks of South Africa. After this victory, Gandhi is invited back to India, where he is now considered something of a national hero. He is urged to take up the fight for India's independence from the British Empire. Gandhi agrees, and mounts a non-violent non-cooperation campaign of unprecedented scale, coordinating millions of Indians nationwide. There are some setbacks, such as violence against the protesters and Gandhi's occasional imprisonment. Nevertheless, the campaign generates great attention, and Britain faces intense public pressure. Too weak from World War II to continue enforcing its will in India, Britain finally grants India's independence. Indians celebrate this victory, but their troubles are far from over. Religious tensions between Hindus and Muslims erupt into nation-wide violence. Gandhi declares a hunger strike, saying he will not eat until the fighting stops. The fighting does stop eventually, but the country is divided. It is decided that the northwest area of India, and eastern part of India (current day Bangladesh), both places where Muslims are in the majority, will become a new country called Pakistan (West and East Pakistan respectively). It is hoped that by encouraging the Muslims to live in a separate country, violence will abate. Gandhi is opposed to the idea, and is even willing to allow Muhammad Ali Jinnah to become the first prime minister of India, but the Partition of India is carried out nevertheless. Gandhi spends his last days trying to bring about peace between both nations. He thereby angers many dissidents on both sides, one of whom finally gets close enough to assassinate him.

A best Historical Movie in World Cinema. ;) :) :-| :-|

14. Vasanth

Vasanth

Agree with you Ritu!! Gandhiji has inspired all Indians and we all are proud to be Indians!!

15. Ritu16

Ritu16

Gandhiji, not only inspired indians. he inspired whole world.
    Let me say another fact, Gandhiji, was a universal human being.
    He fought for the world peace..... ;) ;) ;) :) :) :-| :-| :-|
    Mahatma Gandhiji statue is there all around the World. ;) ;) :) :) :-|

16. sujana

sujana

hey ritu, :lol: :lol: :lol: olle thread. [8)] 8-)
    world movies... i too love watching all types of cinemas...
    ya plzzz let us know more good world movies... :lol: :lol: [8)] [8)] 8-) 8-) :-| :-| :-| :-| :-|

17. heartkiller

heartkiller

rithu great i love movies all types,i want to became a director it is my love,so i watch more movies and information,really great information u given

18. Ritu16

Ritu16

[​IMG]

Samuel Faulkner panics when he learns that his girlfriend of five years, Rebecca Taylor, is pregnant. Samuel is a child psychiatrist who is frustrated by children. Samuel doesn't want the baby, but Rebecca wants to settle down, even if she has to be a single mother. After a breakup and a makeover by Samuel's friend Sean, he realizes that he loves Rebecca very much, and he will love his child. Samuel proposes to Rebecca, and learns to love his child, and life.

A Romantic Comedy entertainer.... ;) ;)