Music Maestro Kadri Gopalnath

Kadri Gopalnath:

He was born in Panemangalore, in Dakshina Kannada district (Karnataka, South India) in 1950. He acquired a taste for music from his father, Thaniappa, who was a nagaswaram vidwan. Young Gopalnath once saw the saxophone being played in the Mysore palace band set. It took him nearly 20 years for him to conquer the complex western wind instrument and he was eventually crowned as the "Saxophone Chakravarthy." His achievement is especially laudatory, as Gopalnath had to make certain improvisations to the conventional Saxophone instrument in order to play Carnatic music. So perfect has this adaptation been that no less a musician than Shemmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, the doyen of Indian Music, has acknowledged Kadri Gopalnath as a true Carnatic music genius.

His maiden performance was for the Chembai Memorial Trust. It was a roaring success. 1980: Jazz festival, Bombay was a turning point for Gopalnath. At the festival was present John Handy, a famous Jazz musician from California. Hearing Gopalnath play, Handy asked if he could go on stage and perform alongside with him. So good did the two artist synchronize on stage, Handy in the Jazz style and Gopalnath in the Carnatic style, that it became an instant hit with the audience. And thus was born, fusion music on the Saxophone! Gopalnath has participated in the Jazz Festival in Prague, Berlin Jazz Festival, International Cervantino Festival in Mexico, Music Halle Festival in Paris, the BBC Promenade concert in 1994 at London and has toured extensively all over the world, performing in all prestigious music venues in India and abroad

Lets us all congrajulate this Kannadiga for his success.

kannadiga

Superb info Sandy. Can you please eloborate the same by adding more info on KG and prepare an article for our second edition on Kanarese? That would be awesome.

I thank the Adda very much for the response. I will surely write an article on KG and please let me know the deadline for the same. I am sorry that I am not able to participate much on the filmi front. But will surely catch on. Also let me know the limitations for the article.

sandy.shihan said:
I thank the Adda very much for the response. I will surely write an article on KG and please let me know the deadline for the same. I am sorry that I am not able to participate much on the filmi front. But will surely catch on. Also let me know the limitations for the article.
On or before 15th May.. send ur article to vasanth.fs@gmail.com

sandy.shihan wrote:

On or before 15th May.. send ur article to vasanth.fs@gmail.com

I am sure tat if u have seen this u wud not be commenting... ;=) ;=) ;=)